ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Uber Misunderstanding

The Big Misunderstanding is a favorite plot device for romance. It's not my favorite because in most books, everything could have been solved if the characters would just talk like the grown ups they're supposed to be.

Yet, for some reason, even though the hero might be a warlord who is the master strategist, the billionaire who is a brainiac when it comes to corporate takeovers, or a detective who has solved umpteen murder cases, the author would make this man a Neanderthal when it comes to dealing with a simple thing like walking in and finding the "love of his life" leaning too close to another man. In a split second, judgement is rendered and this usually smart man would start screaming out words like "Whore!"

Or, even though the heroine might have, on her own, brought up all her seven brothers and sisters through sheer tenacity, or have a dozen college degrees including psychology, or been separated from her teenage lover for oh, sixteen years, or so, she would somehow lose her ability to talk like a sentient adult and is reduced (by the author) into a mewling, helpless entity who couldn't defend her right to talk or hug another man without being labeled a slut. And she keeps going back for more punishment! Girlfriend, any man bellowing out "Whore!" in your direction is not husband material. Just sayin'.

Can you see me rolling my eyes every time I get to that part of the book? Usually, you hear me yelling, "Talk, peeps, talk! You don't need to act like teenagers!"

But then, lust sometimes make us do silly things, and if written well, the Big Misunderstanding can be poignant and worth reading. Think of Shakespeare's more romantic comedy. Heck, he even uses this plot device with devastating skill in his tragedies.

Teenage lust + adulthood = mass of confusion.

I thought this was a funny ad to show to your teens:




Horrifying scenario, eh?!

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

too adorable, pet costume contest http://www.petsmart.com/halloween/

Dee said...

It must be your expertise as a roofer but you hit the nail on the head. I detest The Big Misunderstanding plot device and will not read a book if I know that's what drives it. Like you said, if they're adults worthy of a serious relationship this shouldn't happen.

Okay, it happens, but it should only be a piece of the plot not the hub. Sheesh. It makes me want to scream, "JUST TALK!!!!"

Guess it's evident that you've pushed a button of mine, huh? :o)

Anonymous said...

Jenn, what happened on your YouTube clip could have been far worse. Like what happened to me:

I had just bought my laptop a few months ago and, like all of them these days, it came with an inbuilt webcam. I'd also finally convinced my husband to use a chat messenger so we could communicate when in different countries (which we are several times a year) so I thought I'd get cheeky with him and give him an eyeful of myself via webcam (he was just in the next room).

So there I was flashing myself at him when suddenly the Yahoo chat window appears and my son in Singapore (I'm in Australia) types:

MOM!!! Omigod! Mom! Are those your boobs? Oh shit. I'm gonna puke!

I have no words to describe my reaction to that...sorry. To this day I have no idea how that happened since I wasn't even chatting to anyone else but hubby. How the hell my son could view me I don't know. Needless to say, I haven't touched a webcam since then.

Gennita said...

Thanks for the link, Kim!

Dee,
Yes, it's a hot button with many people yet it's still being used, so does that mean that enough readers enjoy that??? Heh. Something to think about.

Elaine,
That is the reason why I'd never use webcams ;-). What if I turn it on suddenly when I'm typing naked? Or looking like I do in the morning? Ugh. Horrifying thought. I'll always try to find a laptop without a webcam if possible because I think it's too tempting to play with it. And then if you're single and go online, all the guys want you flash them, right? Fuhgeddaboudit.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge