ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Do You Have A Favorite "First Line"?

Mood today:



Romantic Times has a BEST FIRST LINE contest, with judges (editors and book reviewers) comments. Check it out, especially the judges' comments. They reflect the general opinions about the importance of the "first line."

1) Show, don't tell. Start in the middle of action, but at beginning of conversation.

2) Be interesting, draw the reader into the story.

3) Don't start with a banal sentence.

But it's all subjective, isn't it? Take for example, the entry with the first line, "Crotchless panties?" One judge absolutely didn't like it and she's an important editor, by the way. But it could strike a reader as a funny beginning sentence and make her/him read on. Once the attention is engaged, maybe the reader will put the book in her shopping cart.

Is the first sentence that important to you when you're checking out a new-to-you author? I can't imagine me going, "Oh, horrible first line, the rest of the book must suck." Usually I pick the book up because I've heard about it or the color/title/cover caught my attention. Then I read the back blurb and if it's something that might interest me, I flip to read the excerpt to check out how I like the scene. I don't remember an instance when I read the beginning page to make a decision on whether to buy the book or not.

Yet the mystique of the first line of a novel continues. Who would dispute the power of "Call me Ishmael?" That sentence is revered for selling a whale of a story ;-). Hated the book, but yeah, remembered that first line.

For romance, Linda Howard has the best first line in MacKenzie's Mountain: "He needed a woman. Bad." THAT caught my attention all right! And I fell in love with Wolf MacKenzie all over again every time I reread that first chapter.

Do you really get turn on or off by the first line? Yes, a very interesting first line like Linda Howard's would definitely get me to buy it, so I'm going to say it plays some importance. But, it IS a romance we're talking about, and we as readers already know what to expect from that genre, so should we put such importance on the first line? Heck, should there even be a best first line contest?

For me, the first FEW sentences must set the mood, the tone of the story. They could be simple, ordinary lines, like the comic strip above (double click on it to enlarge to read), but with the right tone/setting, it tugs at the heart, and engage the reader. At least, I hope I conveyed that in my books.

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always read to make sure the book isn't in first person (i abhor first person for some reason)

anywhoo, have you asked the subserviant chicken to grab/adjust his crotch yet? hehehe

~Athena

Dee said...

I love a great first sentence but like you said, "great" is somewhat subjective.

No, it's not the do-or-die for me reading the book, I'll give the author about 50 pages to capture. If it takes more than that I'll usually choose not to read it--I'm not going to live long enough to read all the books I KNOW will be good to waste time on one that doesn't engage ME. Once again, it's all subjective.

Julie Garwood used to write great first & last chapter sentences.

Toni Lea Andrews said...

I've always thought my upcoming Mira release ("Beg for Mercy")was sold because of the first line.

"I've never been certain I'm human."

Anonymous said...

Before I buy ANY romance, I check to make sure it's not in the first person. Once in awhile, I forget and order it then find to my disgust the dreaded "I..." and want to kick myself.

Other than that, first lines aren't that important but I do know that the ones that grab my attention are those that begin with dialogue rather than narratives.

Covers are important, too. I dislike any covers with close-ups of illustrated people. I far prefer those stick silhouettes but I guess my preference would be for those like J R Ward's Brotherhood series or the current Brava tradebacks of Amy Fetzer which uses duotone photographs. A more sophisticated look, I suppose.

Gennita said...

Athena,

Yeah, many people don't like to read stories in first person, for some reason. I don't mind it, if it's done well. It's very gothic ;-).

Dee,
Now I have to go check some Garwood first and last sentences! Why do you think they work for you?

Toni,
Hi, MIRA sister ;-). I love that first line...I'd definitely put that book in my cart!

Congratulations on your book! When is it coming out?

Elaine,
Another first-person POV hater. I also like the Ward covers very much. Very stylistic and sexy.

Dee said...

I guess what grabs me about Julie Garwood's chapter Openers/Closers is the humor. The Closer is usually a definitive statement showing that "something" will not be changed. Then you hit the Opener--that first sentence in the next chapter--and it completely disproves the Closing statement of the previous chapter. I've actually sat and gone through her historicals reading just the Openers/Closers. It can be a hoot.

Why does it work for me? Because it keeps me reading. When the Openers/Closers are witty, intriguing, funny... then I MUST keep reading and before I know it I've finished the book. Isn't that what every author wants?

BTW, hope you enjoy your company. Did you really clean before their arrival? I like the "earthy" look, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;o)

Gennita said...

Hi Dee,

Interesting that you actually comb through your favorite books for the opening and ending lines. I do that with scenes. I'll have a specific emotion that I'm after and I'll remember a specific scene and then look out book shelves! I'm playing peekaboo with books all night....

And yes, I cleaned the house. It looked really, really nice and now I feel bad that I'll be messing it up again when I pull out all the files and paperwork I've hidden under the bed :D.

Anonymous said...

I am sure there are first lines I've loved but can't remember any right now, LOL. I'm really more about the whole story which is why I don't care about covers either, yep I realy am one of those people who care more about what's on the inside, at least on books, in real life I want pretty, LOL.

Gennita said...

Hey Leiha,
But those sexy covers can catch our eyes, yes? ***evil grin

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge