ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Weekly Dollhouse Ruminations: Episode 8

Okay, so it's basically a Reset Button episode, a fake run-through of "Dollhouse Doomsday" by the PTB. The idea has merit and there were several cool twists and aspects, but overall, I came away thinking something was off with the story.

First, the good stuff:

1) character background.
Yay, we now have some back stories so we could cheer for the main characters. Can I say Victor, whom I didn't like in the first couple of episodes, has grown into my favorite character? Definitely an interesting idea to give the "actives" their basic personalities back without their memories. Victor, again, was the standout and most interesting. I'm thinking he "volunteered" because he suffered from PTSD. Mellie of the Melons obviously did out of the pain of losing a child (maybe she wanted to forget?). Caroline, in the two years after her boyfriend's death, has grown tougher because she sure didn't know how to fight like that in the lab chase in college, which tells that something more happened than mere running. Sierra's character is the darkest, much to my surprise, and it cast a very horrifying light about the Dollhouse.

2) overall arc
The mythos is very clear--the Dollhouse will do and can do whatever necessary to keep going/making money. For whom, it isn't quite clear yet and Alpha was underutilized in this episode. Contrasting their personalities with the dolls walking around was good too, e.g., Victor's muttering of baseball in an effort to not look around in the community bath. The scenes showing outside of the Dollhouse main area was interesting too--the giant clothes room (also very disturbing but with one funny moment showing Victor quickly putting back his thongs) and the

The Bad.
Sierra's background story with the douchebag who sold her and then the Dollhouse RENTING HER BACK TO HIM for more abuse? That was a WTF moment for me. Could be a major dealbreaker for me if not addressed sometime soon. This episode emphasized closure for the characters to sort of shut off that memory valve in their brains, but how the hell is this closure for Sierra?!

Also, wtf again with the Dollhouse doing that to Sierra? They had one of the Handlers killed off for raping her, but they allowed her to be rape via rental? Gag. Joss Whedon, no. Take that back. Nolan must die soon.

Really did NOT like Echo's original mind, Caroline. Gag. Hate that kind of PETA-Savior complex. I was amused, though, by Adele's observation that Caroline wasn't exactly smart. Because YES the woman is stupid. Instead of going to the cops and perhaps having a chance of going against people with guns, she put on a one-woman Save-The-World operation on her own. She was going to release the dolls the same way she was going to with the lab monkeys in her earlier life. Dumbass.

Anyway, the test run was meant to normalize the growing doll glitches. The doctor (forever Fred in my mind) was also a neat surprise. I can't decide whether she is for or against the dolls. She doesn't approved of looking at them as "pets," yet she was the one who initiated this retooling and reset idea.

Joss's very dark aspect of Sierra's chilling fate really underlined that the Dollhouse is evil, no matter how kick-ass Adele is or how amusing and smartmouth Topher is. It's an emphasis on the same disturbing theme of human trafficking from the first episode, only this time, it's even more personal for us because we've gotten to know Sierra through several episodes.

One more quickie thought--what the heck was the opening scene?! Yeah, Shirtless (now ex-)Agent Ballard was nice but having a nightmare-seduction dream with Caroline? With Mellie as the voice of conscience? So obviously ploy of meaninglessness eye-candy. I mean, Shallow Jenn thank you for Shirtless Ballard, but I know visual bribery when I see it. Bad boy fantasy. Yes, looking at you, Joss.

Oh, final words. Nolan. Must. Die.

Your thoughts?

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

3 comments:

Joy said...

My feelings for this week's episode run all over the map too. The fact some of our favorite characters, such as Boyd, may be complicit in the knowledge of Sierra's kidnapping and further abuse made him less a character to cheer for. I know the show isn't black and white, that all its characters will grow to be layered and flawed, but still, there needs to be a reason to keep me going. Right now, it's Ballard but he's on the outside, which makes it tough. I'm still going to watch because it has kept me curious.

Off topic, Jenn, did you know they canceled Terminator? Those Fox idiots.

kim said...

Don't worry, Joss seems to be a big fan of female empowerment, I'm sure if given enough time (ie not canceled) Nolan will get his, the baddies in Buffy usually did. It is pretty sick what they do to Sierra, but if he doesn't put something like that out there how would we know how much to hate the dollhouse, and how much to root for the actives. Victor was def my fav too, him and Sierra and they are too cute together, I look forward to more cute moments with them. Echo has a savior complex or something. At first Caroline rubbed me the wrong way too because while I'm a vegi and not a big fan of animal testing there are also nice legal ways to go about things w/o breaking into buildings.. however I do admire that while she could have been smarter and gotten help to take down the house, she had the balls to go back in alone not wanting to leave all those people behind. Whether it's animals or people she wants to help and scary or not she tries. And she can't be that dumb, she figured out how to get into the Rossem building which the uber-brain science dude who worked there in the last episode couldn't do w/o her. On a side note, there were far more dolls than I expected. If there are other houses that's a ton of people. The dream scape scene to start did seem out of place, but I still think the one-liner about needs was funny, just the delivery seemed so guy :)

Casee said...

I was a little disappointed with the episode. It just showed how evil the Dollhouse really is. Which is good and bad I guess.

The biggest problem I had was w/ the Sierra storyline. I was totally weirded out by the fact that the Dollhouse will actually take someone against their will. And then selling her back to him? Wtf?

I agree w/ you about Victor. Wasn't really into him at first, but now I love him almost as much as Ballard.

The ended was the best, where Echo left a message for Ballard.

I wasn't surprised that Echo/Caroline went back in by herself. To me, that is classic Eliza Dushku, no matter who she plays.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge