ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Lemonade

I'm still feeling numb about yesterday. I'm very hard on myself, especially when things don't go right, and it seems things haven't gone right a lot lately. But I can't let myself be affected too negatively by things I can't control.

As Ranger Buddy would say, Suck It Up.

I'm going to try to stop moping and worrying. Things I can control as a writer:

1) writing a good story
2) entertaining my readers
3) promoting wisely and generously
4) look for opportunities
5) keep on writing

Writing Jed's story has been the challenge of my life. He, of all my protagonists, is the most internal and least approachable. With Rick Harden, at least, there's the self-loathing that softened him for some hard lessons. However, Jed is an assassin and his work makes him compartmentalize his emotions and his real self. And that's why, with his story, I have to go back to his past, relive it, and see how this man became the person he is.

Easy to explain. Hard to execute!

But I have been loving the rollercoaster ride of euphoria and depression this man's been giving me for over a year now. And as a character, he's taught me to look hard at myself (as he does to himself) and be dispassionate about certain things. By dispassionate, he doesn't mean,being unfeeling or disrespectful. This man has passion in spades. It's just that he keeps it under control and doesn't allow it to rule him.

Dispassionate, if you look in Jed's battered little dictionary, means "not affected by personal or emotional involvement," the ability to stand in mayhem and still appear to be at a distance, and to take care of what's important first so everything falls back into place and proceed as planned.

I shall work to be dispassionate about this setback and put my head down and continue my writing. It is important to finish Jed's quest. He is, in some respects, my crown jewel, the one that I keep polishing so everything is reflected back in their brilliance--romance, the power of love, adventure, high tech noir.

In the meantime, I hope to entertain you here in my blogs and Yahoogroup. I've heard of authors giving away electronic versions of their stories, so I'm going to look into this for the next project. How it works and whether it works--I have no idea. Maybe you can advice me on this if you've done it before. Would you, as a reader, download a book in chapters? Would you read it? It's not a novella ;-). Big Bad Wolf is at least 90,000 words. At least. I haven't reread it in a while.

And is that good promotion, I ask myself. I feel that I owe you (my readers and friends) something for your patience between now and the end of next year. I also feel that a book such as BBW would be a nice bridge over the River Momentum, if you get what I mean.

However, it's also a risk. BBW was written by an earlier version of Gennita Low ;-). I pitched it to an editor during my first RWA when I didn't even have a story and had no idea what a pitch was. All I knew was the advice the other writers standing in line told me: "Write what you know and a different type of story."

Well, I thought...I know roofing and I bet the editor had never heard of a roofer as a heroine before. Ahem. So, I pitched. About a roofer girl and a spy. The editor loved it--so different, she enthused. She wanted to see the first three chapters. Gulp. The rest was history. I went home and wrote that story pronto.

Big Bad Wolf was my first time entry into the RWA Golden Heart Contest for unpublished writers. It was my first attempt to be professional (of course, I broke like a thousand rules doing that) about my writing. To my surprise, it was one of the finaling entries in 1999.

So, as you can see, I hold this story fondly in my heart. But again, dispassionately speaking, is it good enough as a promotional tool? Oh, I have no doubt there would be many a snicker about the roofer-heroine as a Mary Sue for the author. There is a certain discomfort in that because Jaymee, the heroine, does many things a petite roofer would do. ;-) She also lives in Florida, not very far from where I am, in fact. Lastly, she spouts Florida hurricane codes like someone you know would.

Sigh. It's a gamble, isn't it?

Looking up at the five things I've stated that I can control as a writer, this IS an opportunity to showcase the very beginning of COMCEN (with some rewriting, of course...you don't think I'm going to let this loose into the wild AS IS, do you?!). Those who are into his Jedness would definitely get their fix...just a little. Those who are curious as to exactly what happened would get some questions answered. It all sounds pretty good, doesn't it? ;-) I'm making myself excited just thinking about it, LOL.

But I'm a contracted author. I have to be careful what I give away and how I do it. In my heart, I want to keep my readers happy and also share with them something I think they'd enjoy. How I go about doing it--and that means talking to agent, editor and publisher about the benefits of electronic promotion--will need some figuring out.

You know what? Jed would be pleased with this very dispassionate post.

Ha.

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have control over what MIRA does - stop beating yourself up about it. I did contact Customer
Care at e-Harlequin.com to see what they had to say - here's the response:
"Due to unforeseen circumstances our editorial department had to postpone the publication date for "Virtually Hers" until December 2008.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this matter may have caused."

Yeah, that helps a lot!

Anonymous said...

Maybe if enough of us complain about the delay, it will make a difference.

Steff

Anonymous said...

weirdness re: pub date delay. Usually, 2 months out from pub date, books are being delivered to warehouse so they won't push it. Either your printer ran into some MAJOR problems (e.g., blackout that took out the east coast) or someone in marketing thought it'd make better #s during the xmas sale. Check w/your agent to see if they can weasel out the REAL reason why your pub date got pushed.

It's either that or the ed/ed asst. working on your book had a nervous breakdown. Which happens more than you think.

Feel free to email your LOYAL fans word files of Jed's book. I won't mind. =)

Gennita said...

Everyone

No, the unseen circumstance is me being late with my manuscript but I didn't think they would move it all the way to Dec. 2008, that's all. Right now, probably every available slot must be taken up till then. My fault.

Thank you, guys. Lots of things might happen between now and end of next year. Maybe an earlier slot will open up! :-P

I'll tell you more when I see my editor at Nationals. Thank you for all your emails! Very, very, very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I'll print my own! and I'll still give you the $6 or whatever they're going for now!!!

Dee said...

Jenn, I wrote a comment to yesterday's post but it disappeared & I couldn't make myself rewrite.

Don't beat yourself up, just write. Let Jed--both young and older--tell you his story. Or have Hell wrestle it out of him. Like you said, hunker down and don't let yourself get distracted. If it means less blogging so be it. You can give brief updates and we'll cheer you on.

You're right about a slot opening up. If you could get moved to another slot because your manuscript was late it could also happen to another author (or several) and get you moved back up.

I hope that your owners [?] see the electronic release of BBW would be a wonderful promotion for Virtually Hers...and it wouldn't cost them a dime.

We'll wait for Jed, he's worth it, and we'll encourage you, enthusiastically. :o)

Dee

Gennita said...

Kim,

:) Thank you. Now we know why the I-Phone is out! So we can download my e-chapters!

Dee,

I know. It's the business side of things and everything moves down the belt in mass production. I'll try not to beat myself up any more but that's like asking a surfrat not to look for the next wave. Sorry, bad analogy. No brains today.

Fanciful Fern said...

I know what you mean, I tend to beat myself up over things I have no control over too, or mistakes I've made. So I'll just tell you what other people tell me, "It's beyond your control. Do something that is within your control."

Maybe now's the time to explore collborating with other authors who write in the same genre. If you can contribute a novella to an anthology, it'll go some way to keep your name on the shelves.

If I'm talking crap, just ignore me. I'll keep an eye out for your books still.

Jennifer B. said...

A bit late to this post...but still want to echo what others have said. We'll wait for Jed. Happily. In the meantime, we'll read whatever you publish, however you publish it. Or, continue to re-read. *g* You're on my autobuy list and a delayed release date--as you said, business--will not change that. Evah.

Jennifer B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gennita said...

Hi Jen B,

Thank you! I'm going to work hard to make everyone happy ;-).

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge