ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Familiar Names Doing It Themselves

Lately I've been asked by many writing friends about my self-publishing experience. I don't have enough to really give advice but I try my best to answer any concerns. The most important, I think, is to already have an established reader base. I have wonderful supportive readers who enjoyed my previous books enough to trust me with giving them another good read with my next books, even though they're self-published. I keep in touch as much as I can, through this blog, Facebook, Twitter, and emails.

It isn't that one can't self-publish without a reader base, but having been established through a New York publisher gives one and an advantage. For one, one's back list is still out there for new readers to discover and that's worth more than a dozen blog interviews.

I'm not the only "familiar" name out there who's going into self-publishing. Below is a list of many of my favorite writers who have gone, or are going, this route:

1) EMMA HOLLY
2) JORDAN DANE
3) MARLISS MELTON
4) JULIANNE MACLEAN (doing women's fiction)
5) COURNEY MILAN
6) BARRY EISLER (he of the "no to a $500,000 contract)***
7) JANELLE DENISON
8) LESLIE PARRISH
9) DEBRA WEBB
10) MAYA BANKS

***Yes, Eisler later signed with Amazon's new thriller line, but I still put him in the category since he did decide to self-publish after crunching his sales numbers.

Some of the authors above are still published with New York publishers and are branching out into different genres through self-publishing. A few are A-list, meaning wow-they-don't-need-to-self-published but have chosen to do some of their books this way. More power to them. I know they're going to be successful because of their reader base.

It's not a rejection of New York publishers. That's silly. They still pay too! But published authors can now consider other options and THAT is wonderful.

For myself, it's just the way it is at the moment. I'm still sending out proposals to New York and "traditional" publishers but meanwhile, I can still get my writing out there to my readers.

Who would have thunk that I'd be self-publishing a kiddie book about a squirrel in 2002 when Into Danger first came out, eh? :D And now, even though they've said no to T and Alex's book, I can still finish writing it and get it published!

Do you know of any familiar names to add to my list? I know there's more. This is just off the top of my head.

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

7 comments:

MaryC said...

Know of many authors who are releasing older works in ebook format as they regain publishing rights for those books.
As a reader, my wish is that new or old books be released in formats suitable for all ereaders, not just Kindle.

j3nny said...

Actually I noticed lately a lot of authors' newsletter I subscribe to are promoting their self pub books.

I love newsletters because with all there is to do, sometimes I forget to check up on the latest books from authors. Newsletters sent to my email help me keep up with it.

Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time you talked about your books! I know you've been super busy but throw me a bone eh? :)

Gennita said...

Mary C,

Quite a number of the authors also put their books on smashwords.com, which is downloadable onto the computer and other ereaders.

Gennita said...

J3nny,
I just updated a few days ago :). Here's the link:
http://rooferauthor.blogspot.com/2011/09/marathon-in-which-uberauthor-is.html

Gennita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaryK said...

Ilona Andrews has self-pubbed some shorts. There's a novella, Silver Shark, about to come out and I'm on tenterhooks waiting for it.

Dr. Laurence Brown said...

E-book publication reduces the cost and time frame for publishing.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge