ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bike and Book Ride

Last night, I secretly met with my biker buddy Moosetail. He brought over a battery kit to recharge the bike in my garage, as well as showed me a thing or two about the clutch, the brakes, etc., you know, stuff that the OWNER should know.

Moosetail invited me out for a ride on his bike and so I grabbed my leather jacket and glasses (I am a seasoned biker passenger), tied my hair back, and hopped on. Woohoo! Riding a bike with a pro is definitely a thumbs-up! For one thing, no pushing the bike, heh!

We zipped out to the main road towards the beachside and while making the turn, I...uh...noticed Alpha Male's truck going by the other way. You know, I should buy a sekret bike, stash it somewhere and learn how to ride the thing. Then, when he finally graduates from his stupid sekret bike class, I can show up in my Suzuki or whatever and steal his thunder ;-).

*************
I finished reading Toni Andrews' Beg For Mercy. It's a good first book...no vampires, werewolves, or "magick," and even though it's called an urban fantasy by many, it read more like an everyday normal contemporary with a heroine who has the power to hypnotize those around her to do her bidding. It's not even dark in tone.

Mercy is just a sassy loner who sort of fears her power because she knows she can inadvertently hurt someone. For example, when she was a kid and was being bullied, she shouted, "Why don't you take a jump?" or something like that, and of course, said bully did, into ongoing traffic, which Mercy hadn't planned on.

Anyway, it's a light and quick read for me. If you're tired of the angsty vampire/slayer/ werewolf/witch and demon paranormals out there, give this new author a try. There are some too-easy plot contrivances and the usual kookie friend-turned-psychic sidekick. I must admit the first person didn't work as well for me as in other urban fantasy books, but mostly, I think, because I didn't believe this book to be one. Am I making sense here? Probably not. But for some reason, I can read urban fantasy/gothic fantasy in first person POV, but not contemporary (even with a heroine with a mental gift).

Throughout the book, because the heroine is the only person who knows about her ability among her friends, she is also the only one running around doing the investigative stuff. Her friends and her new lover/boyfriend act as props who get in her way or help her in arranging meetings with people who could give her the information she needs. Very convenient and coincidental, in some ways. At one point, she even manages to "press" (as she called it) a snarling and fierce enemy's dog who was guarding her girlfriend to become a doting pet just with one command. That was too easy and a bit much.

I'm interested to see whether the writing will turn darker now that Mercy, at the end of the book, has broken every rule she has set out not to do when using her gift. The romantic conflict should be interesting, since the boyfriend knows something is up and is angry/concerned/bewildered that he's kept in the dark. It's a new relationship, so he doesn't want to commit to someone with secrets.

Mercy, of course, has a HUGE secret. And at the end of the book, she finds out that her parents might not be normal. Which means she isn't normal herself.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you decide to read this book. It's always fun to see what readers think of the beginning of a new continuing series. Setting one up is very hard (I should know, sigh) because not only must the writer introduce the elements that make up the storyverse, but she/he must find a spot to end it and bring the readers to the second book. Sometimes that can get controversial (heh, I should know this too, doublesigh).

In Beg For Mercy, the young heroine finds out that her secret power is bigger than what she'd thought it to be. The series ends with it as a set-up for her to look for her parents and her heritage (really that is the only urban fantasy element that I found). I'm not sure, however, whether I want to read book after book where the main action is the heroine asking questions and the characters dutifully answering them in a monotone of sorts.

Definitely, the scene I'm looking forward to is when the boyfriend finds out about her powers and starts to question whether everything he's ever shared with her has been manipulated by her power. Now that could be dark and powerful. Being that this set-up book is more snarky/fun/light, that scene I'm imagining is probably all in my head ;-).

But you want dark and powerful? That's when the Alpha Male starts up that bike again this week. Hahahahahaha.

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm picking this book up and will let you know. Hesitant about the first POV. Can't wait for more Biker Adventures. You should definitely show off your bike skillz if you learn to ride! That would be funny, to watch his face, huh?

Gennita said...

Leslie,
It's a fast and enjoyable read for me. And not sure whether I really want to learn how to ride a bike. LOL. It's going to be dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Don't cry "I need help!" yet go home and turn on the television. The gods don't respect this.
There is no such things as a savior. This is yet another tactic they have employed as temptation, much like "earning" or distractions.
You have to save yourself.

The Man in the Moon clue:::A constant companion, the "Man in the Moon" clue needs to be viewed as a reminder, for this environment is one in which it is very easy to lose your way, either via temptation or distraction.
Look to the sky. Begin to associate the Moon with the clue they impart with this celestial feature. Use it as a reminder to pray, to be god-fearing, for this is a very antient clue and shows their great power.
We only see one side of the moon at all times, another clue from the gods:::There is a "dark side" we don't see.


There is a BIG LIE here. Sigmund Freud proves it.
Wine proves it. Democracy proves it. Materialism/greed proves it.
The middle management tactic allows them to maintain this perception of an "absentee good (Christian) god", ensuring one of the goals of the United States remains useful::::NO FEAR!!!
The gods instruct Artificial Intelligence to employ evil as temptation. If people still believed in the Devil at least they would be on the lookout. Resign to be good.

The gods are sending a clue Yahoo is good with this Chinese censorship issue.
The American idea of freedom is a shock rocker anally masterbating with a crucifix. This is what the disfavored are free to view in this open society, and due to their disfavor a certain percentage will either be pushed into it or will comply, ensuring damnation. It's kind of like the KKK and Apartheid issue except this is for whites of the modern era::::Democracy ensures a false sense of security.

US popular culture is obsence. Intentionally. The gods are preying on the disfavored who remain, those foolish enough to participate.
The Chinese have favor and the gods allow the government to protect the citizens, but Chinese cut-off is fast approaching, for soon westernization will le

Gennita said...

Anonymous,

Uh, all right then, no more monkey nuts for you!

Seriously, relax. Watch a few TV shows, sin with me with McDreamy, and let's turn Chinese together.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge