ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Friday, November 03, 2006

McQuirky

I'm cracking up at a comment I saw last night after watching Grey's Anatomy.

You're both single now, McDreamy. Get in there and Carpe Mere's Diem, yo.

Hehehehehehehe. That's the thing about writin for televison versus a good romance novel. You can't read the whole book! And every shipper who wants the happy ending for Mere and Der will just have to wait week after week after week as the writers serve us tidbits of the relationship.


Not so in a romance novel because we get to focus on good conversation and juicy heat between our favorite characters and stay in their heads as they "grow." On television, I'm banging my head at the non-verbage between Mere and Der. Is it just me, or did McDreamy spend the whole darn episode grunting and making pig noises from his throat? LOL.

That's why writing a romance is difficult. The writer has to keep her focus on the main couple AND still carry the plot along for a few hundred pages. Imagine a whole hour of that happening on Grey's Anatomy. ZZzzzzzZZZzzz.

Someone once said to me that there were too many rules in writing a romance. "A romance doesn't move from point A to point B and tada! Happy ending," she said. "Where's the dysfunctional part?"

It's a valid point, but flawed. All writing, in essence, is about craft, and all craft inherently has rules. A romance = happy ending is Rule #1. A mystery = smoking gun somewhere. A horror story = taboo themes.

You choose to write in one genre, that's how it works; just as if you choose to play in a certain sport, there are rules to that game. Some cynics don't like this "rule" and look down on the romance genre because it isn't "real" life. That comment always cracks me up too. There's a reason why it's called fiction, you know.

Everyone is given the choice to play this game or not ;-). It's all about enjoyment. We don't watch the relationships on Grey's Anatomy because it's "real" life, but because it's entertaining and so well-written that the show makes you invest yourselves in its characters. And that's what good romances do.

Right?


Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

3 comments:

Gennita said...

What? You like McHo better than McDreamy? Hmm...well, okay McHo looked better in a towel, I'll give you that, heh.

I don't think Finn has enough baggage to engage Mere's interest for too long. All he ever said of any relevance began with "My dead wife this, my dead wife that...." Who wants to compete with a dead wife?

Totally agree with you on romance novels and gaining knowledge that way. I've learned so much about culture, language, and other trivial pursuit stuff from my favorite books through the years. And without romance books, I wouldn't have gotten that craving to travel when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

"Antidote to real life"...very well said!

Gennita said...

Hi Leilani,

Thank you ;-).

As for the romance cynics, mostly, I think they aren't comfortable with how emotions are so idealized in our genre. Bitter, bitter people. Heehee.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge