ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

I Hate Coitus Interruptus!

Coitus Interruptus happens when the hero and heroine are finally together and they're going to have a big moment and their Creator decides to put off the sex because it's too early in the book and there has to be another hundred pages of romantic pain.

Sometimes it's reasonable. Sometimes it's just plain stupid.

It seems that this device also happens on TVland. In Grey's Anatomy's last episode, our favorite angsty passive-aggressive couple, Mere and Der, finally, finally, after one whole season of pain (last year) of separation, got together to start all anew. They're in love. They want to be together.

But. Shucks, this is just the beginning of the season! We can't have them having hawt sex! So our couple, in the middle of rubbing each other silly in the bathtub of bubbles, decided to put off sex.

Rrrrrrrighhht. ;-) The scene is plenty hot, though. Here you go (Click on ARROW to stay on this site):



If I have McDreamy in my bathtub, I won't be talking much. Just saying. ;-P

The thing is, done correctly, coitus interruptus can be sensual and also brings the story forward, moving the hero and heroine beyond the sexual realm toward the happy ending where two individuals are committed physically and mentally to be together.

However, there are many stories out there which just insert author-induced coitus interruptus just for the sake of "keeping the sexual tension" going. It DOESN'T work for me. It only makes me yell a lot. I quote someone's post about Mere and Der from a fan forum again: "Carpe Mere's Diem already, Derek!" Heehee. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates being manipulated.

I'd have accepted the putting off sex part if both the characters had been DRESSED and not in the middle of a bubble-tub where all kinds of body parts are rubbing against each other. "Let's take it slow." Nuh-uh. Not gonna buy it. You feel me?

Coitus Interruptus can be done with humor. Check this out:




Now that one worked for me! I can so see me as the sister. Have a good weekend!

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

3 comments:

Dee said...

I SO agree with you, Jenn. I hate plot devices when they're used only because the author can't think of a believable way to handle the situation. Waiting because of a page count? NO NO NO! Waiting because it maintains the intregrity of the created characterization? Yes.

Anonymous said...

The second one is SO funny!!!!

Gennita said...

Hi Dee,
Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves, especially when it happens more than once in the book!

Anonymous,
Heh heh. Now, that was a funny interruption, wasn't it?

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge