ANNOUNCEMENTS

VIRTUALLY HERS came out Oct. 2009. Get it at SAMHAIN Publishing. VIRTUALLY ONE coming soon.
VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010.

I've also made available at Amazon BIG BAD WOLF a COS Commando book, an earlier manuscript about Killian Nicholas Langley. You can sample the first five chapters right here. EBOOK now available for KINDLE, NOOK, and at SMASHWORDS for $4.99.

I appreciate all your emails. If you'd like to buy Virtually His NEW, please contact me. Thank you.



CLICK:

Big Bad Wolf Author's Note/CH. 1

Big Bad Wolf CH. 2

Big Bad Wolf Ch. 3

(more chapters on left side bar below)



To read excerpts of VIRTUALLY HERS, scroll down & click on the links on the right.



EMAIL ME AT JENN AT GENNITA-LOW DOT COM


VIRTUALLY HERS UPDATE

VIRTUALLY HERS OUT IN PRINT AUG 2010! Discounted at Amazon!

To read & comment on the poll (left column), click HERE. Thank you for all the wonderful posts there!

UPDATE: I SOLD THE SERIES TO SAMHAIN!

Here's your UBER VIRTUALLY HERS YAK THREAD!


GLow Twitter

Follow The Glow

Some readers having browser problems with the Google Followers Widget still. For now, you can still follow me through your Blogger Dashboard.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Women's vs Men's Take on Romance

So I was wondering what you think of Meredith's "I want to be treated like a lady" speech on Grey's Anatomy last night:

(Set up--Meredith wants to date two men at the same time, as in just spending time getting to know each other dating. Both the hot dudes agree. However, when Meredith has lunch with one, the other shows up; and in this scene, when Meredith comes home after going out to dinner with the other, the first one shows up at the door. Both men are obviously trying to sabotage each other and they have this macho look on their faces as they eye each other...)

Meredith: Enough! This is NOT dating. I want moonlight, and flowers, and candy and people trying to feel me up. Nobody is trying to feel me up. Nobody is even looking at me. I'm an intern, do the two of you have any idea how much effort it takes to do all this? I am waxed and plucked and I have a clean top on. And the two of you are looking at each other.

Derek: Meredith.....Meredith: No my fantasy is not two men looking at each other.

Finn: We didn't....

Meredith: No talking until one of you figures out how to put on a date. I want heat! I want romance! Damn it, I want to feel like a freaking lady!

(Meredith stalks off, end of episode).

We read romance because of the fantasy element. Hey, two hawt guys wanting us at the same time, and who would we choose, if we were in our heroine's shoes? I thought it was a nice (and humorous) twist that in this episode, our heroine got her fantasy--two hawt guys fighting over her favor--but it ended with the males not "getting" what romance is all about. She didn't actually get what she wanted and she ended up eating icecream alone.

I also found it funny that Derek the brain surgeon's idea of romance was dangle an invitation to Meredith to be part of his team when he cut a brain in half. Exciting to the intern in her, no doubt, but was it romantic? it's the heart she wants, McDreamy, not the brain. Just saying. :-)

I'm surprised that some romance readers don't like this fantasy. They want the heroine to choose quickly, not play the field. I think it makes some readers uncomfortable. Take, for example, the Stephanie Plum series. Steph has two beaus and she can't seem to choose, even after eleven books. Some readers, diehard romantics, have abandoned that series because they don't like Stephanie lusting after Ranger after having slept with Morelli (and been engaged to). On the other hand, there are quite a few readers who are enjoying the tug of emotions because they clearly see Stephanie's dilemma: safe with Morelli or danger with Ranger? ;-) Clearly, it's part of the fantasy.

What is your favorite fantasy theme in a romance?

A reunion with a long forgotten lover?
A taming the bad boy story?
A deserted island with one man adventure?
Abduction and Seduction?
A heart-tugger about lost love and heartbreak?
A prim and shy woman gone wild?

What is the latest book you're enjoying right now? I just finished Lover Awakened by JR Ward and I enjoyed how the romance slowly grew between Z and Bella. The end, with the dramatic changes he made in his life was so romantic. Love as a healing power, is pure romance gold.

Bear with me while I learn. The first button likes the POST. The second button likes the BLOG site. Please help me by "liking" me. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am over Meredith. I love the show but the character I like the least is Meredith, sure she's human but so are all of the other characters, I'm just not a big fan of her actions.

For book themes, I am a fan of unrequited love, like a secretary for the boss or best friends and then it becoming reciprocated.

A book that I enjoyed recently was Kresley Cole's A Hunger Like No Other.

Gennita said...

Leslie,
Yeah, I think it's the quirkiness I'm enjoying the most, as well as Meredith trying to get over Derek.

Hi Leiha,
Since I hadn't watched Grey's religiously last season (just enough to know what's going on), I still enjoy it very much. Meredith's actions don't bother me at all, even though I agree she seems to try to solve her problems by having sex to forget ;-). So far, I'm enjoying how each of these characters tackle the issue of love and commitment. For example, Addison can love but doesn't understand commitment (but HEY, I forgive her because I'm in LUST with McSteamy in a TOWEL! Heh heh)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, don't watch this show. Fav fantasy theme, abduction/seduction is no. 1, taming bad boy comes in a close second.

DAILY DOSE OF CUTE PUPPINESS

Send My Publisher A Nudge